Saturday, October 29, 2011

Of all the people I meet - Some of them happen quickly...

Sometimes you meet people and it feels like you've always known them. A couple months ago I met "Ms. Cynthia". It wasn't that we met by introduction. She sells very unique jewelry and is a vendor at the farmer's market in Minneapolis. I ran across her booth early summer and admired her jewelry, and couldn't help but purchase one of her pieces (wore it in my photo shoot). I remembered how eloquent of a woman she was during our first encounter. We'd had very engaging conversations, but we parted with no expectation of ever seeing each other again, at least not this season. A transaction had happened. For her, she made money, for me I'd purchased a product.
Then, again on a brisk late October day, I'd gone to the Farmers Market for no particular reason. Then, it hit me...I'd stop by the booth of the lady that sells that awesome handmade jewelry. It had gotten cold and, I was sure most of the popular vendors had packed up for the winter, but when I got to her corner of the open air market, she was there! All bundled up in her big down coat, and still looking as warm and fresh as only a fifty-something year old business woman can. I quickly noted that she was complete with TONS of her gorgeous jewelry.
 It didn't take me long to eye the perfect necklace and pendant pictured below.  I was certainly elated with the purchase that I made. I didn't feel one ounce of guilt. Ms. Cynthia and I talked for over an hour. We shared personal stories, vulnerabilities, smiles, wit and charm. She got to know my family and I hers. Customers walked up to admire her unique creations and every now and then she'd stop and seal a deal while I waited to pick up where we left off. The pull to stay was very strong, but we inevitably had to part. We exchanged phone numbers and planned a meeting for later that evening. We met and shared more stories and sealed our bond of friendship.
I didn't go out looking for a friend, but I know a heart-connection when I encounter it. Ms. Cynthia's someone who is supposed to be in my life and I in hers. Now-a-days I shop with purpose and what I invested in today was more than a semi-precious jewel, Ms. Cynthia and I....well, we became friends.  I'm adding her to my list of 1370 friends (fb count), but I'm almost positive that she will become more than that.

Welcome to my life Ms. Cynthia!!!

 You can check out her STUNNING jewelry at:  http://www.stoneovation.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment